A Kurt Browning Fan Page
If there is any information you think belongs on this page, please
send it to CLW.
Let's start by linking in some pictures that are already out there:
Finally some things I've scanned:
There is an FAQ!
Kurt has an autobiography Forcing the Edge, published in
hardcover in '91, published in mass-market in '92 with 4 new chapters
that cover Albertville and plans for Lillehammer.
Kurt continues to skate on tour (Stars on Ice), in shows (his own:
Gotta Skate as well as others), he has been colour commentator
for numerous competitions, is frequently interviewed in the
media on the subject of skating and choreographs programs for
Olympic eligible skaters.
He is a natural public person: friendly, garrulous, self-assured, a
little brash, earnest, out-going, and charming. He is also hard
working, talented, driven, sensual, attentive to detail, ambitious,
and a well trained athelete. All of these combined qualities have
made him a four-time world champion and one of the most well-known and
loved people in Canada (he also has a not-insignificant following
He started figure skating, like many young Canadian men, as a
suppliment to hockey. A way to get more ice time, although during the
winter he had his own personal ice surface in the backyard, one of the
advantages of growing up on a farm in rural Alberta 8).
Being the youngest child by a largish margin meant that when he chose
to dedicate himself entirely to figure skating, his parents had the
time and resources to support him and dedicate themselves, as the
parents of a champion must.
His competitive history has been consistent and
stellar, his losses few but memorable. Memorable, no so much for the
losses themselves, but for way they demonstrated that he is as
graceful in defeat as he is in victory.
In a huge change of pace, Kurt enjoys inline skating when off the ice,
and claimed to enjoy coach-potatohood given the rare opportunity.
Likely parenthood has absorbed that free time.
With the support of Kellog's Canada, Kurt has established the "Kurt
Browning Junior Figure Skating Fund to be awarded each year at
Canadians for the purpose of helping with the costs of training for up
and coming young skaters.
- Birth Date: 18/06/1966
- Home Town: Caroline, AB
- Nicknames: "The Kid from Caroline" (there is, in fact, a song
about him named this), "Skate God for Life" (so named by Scott
Hamilton whom Kurt, himself, calls SGfL)
- Car Plates: 1STQUAD
- Trains: Toronto, ON
- Height: 170 cm (5'7")
- Weight: 64.3 kg (143 lbs)
- Coach: Louis Stong, Michael Jiranek
- Choreographer: Sandra Bezic, Kevin Cottam
- Autobiography: Kurt: Forcing the Edge
HarperCollins Publishers Ltd.
Suite 2900, 55 Avenue Rd
Toronto, ON, M5R 3L2
- Spouse: Sonia
Rodriguez. On 21/04/95, Kurt proposed at SOI in Toronto which was being
taped for broadcast by the CBC.
That segment is available for downloading in .avi format
(1.8M) and Quicktime (.mov,
They were married on June 30, 1996.
- Children: Gabriel Browning-Rodriguez (born 12/07/2003)
- Older brother: Wade
- Older sister Dena
- Father: Dewey (given name Arnold)
- Mother: Neva
- Paternal grandparents: Jack Browning and Gladys Stewart
- Maternal grandparents: Fred and Bernice Hart
- Paternal great-grandfather Jasper Browning
- 5th, Olympics '94
- 2nd, Canadians '94 (Edmonton, AB)
- 1st, Worlds '93 (Prague, Cze)
- 1st, Canadians '93 (Hamilton, ON)
- 2nd, Worlds '92 (Oakland, CA)
- 6th, Olympics '92 (Albertville, Fra)
- due to his back problems, Kurt had to skip Canadians '92
- 1st, Lalique '91 (Albertville, Fra)
- 1st, Worlds '91 (Munich, Frg)
- 1st, Canadians '91
- 1st, Nations
Cup '90 (Gelsenkirchen, West Germany)
- 1st, Skate
Canada '90 (Lethbridge, AB)
- 1st, Goodwill Games '90
- 1st, Worlds '90 (Halifax, NS)
- 1st, Canadians '90
- 3rd, NHK
- 3rd, Skate
- 1st, Worlds '89 (Paris, Fra)
- 1st, Canadians '89
- 3rd, NHK '88
- 1st, Skate Canada '88
- 1st, Skate Electric Invitational '88
- 6th, Worlds '88 (Budapest, Hungary)
- 8th, Olympics '88 (Calgary, AB)
- 2nd, Canadians '88
- 4th, Skate Canada '87
- 3rd, St. Ivel '87
- 15th, Worlds '87
- 2nd, Canadians '87
- 7th, NHK '86
- 3rd, Oberstdorf '86
- 2nd, St. Gervais '86
- 5th, Canadians '86
- 2nd, St. Gervais '85
- 9th, Oberstdorf '85
- 1st, Canadian Juniors '85
- 1st, Canadian Novice '83
- 12th, Canadian Novice '82
- Masks and Morning Dance
- Debuted: 95-96 season
- Music: from Romeo and Juliet, instrumental
- Inspiration: a solo by Mercutio
- Costume: white shirt with sleeves slit from shoulder to
wrist rejoined with small pieces of fabric, black pants
Exhibitions and Shows
Other Notable Awards or Achievments
International Management Group
- featured in a display "Child to Champion" at the Alberta
Provincial Museum from 03/02/96--28/04/96.
- Honourary chairman of the '96 Worlds
- pictured on the Special K cereal box 8)
- You Must Remember This won 5 Gemini Awards: best
overall production on art direction, best picture editing, best
- Inducted into Canada's Sports Hall of
Fame in 1994.
- 1991 Sports Federation of Canada -- Top Male Athlete
- 1991 Lionel Conacher Award -- the Canadian Press Male Athlete
of the Year
- 1990 Lou Marsh Award -- Canada's Outstanding Athlete
- 1990 Lionel Conacher award -- the Canadian Press Male Athlete
of the Year
- 1990 Recipient of the "Order of Canada"
- 1990 Sports Federation of Canada -- Top Male Athlete
- 1988 First quadruple jump in world competition at the World
Championships in Budapest, Hungary
Vice President, Olympic Clients
825 7th Avenue, 9th Floor
New York, NY 10019
What a Wonderful World
373 Saw Creek Estates
Bushkill, PA, 18324
- The August 1996 issue of Dance Magazine has a
picture of Sonia on page 22.
- The March issue of Chatelaine has a lengthy advertising
supplement about the Canadian version of Stars on Ice. It has
the skaters talking about what they do in terms of off-ice
training, their favorite foods, etc.
- The February issue of Flare has an article called "Mad About
You", that features celebrity Canadian couples. There's a page
with a full length picture of Sonia Rodriguez and Kurt
Browning, with them dancing, a blurb about them and how they
met each other, and information on where to buy the clothes
they are wearing.
Other Links of Interest
The bandwidth for these pages is courtesy of arghC Consulting
Last Modified:Tuesday, 26-Jun-2007 21:09:16 UTC
Page accessed at local time: Friday, 28-Feb-2020 01:30:35 UTC